Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Thing 7--Technology

What interests me that's technology related? I'm not sure how to answer that, except that I'm often amazed when I think back to how we as Librarians did our jobs when I was fresh out of school compared to how we do it now. So much has changed so quickly! My husband got his first home computer in 1985--the year our son Daniel was born. He tried to show me how to use it--what a disaster, I swore I'd never go near the thing. Now I use a computer everyday for so many things, both at home and at work. I was telling a co-worker recently how we used to do shelf checks. Codes were written at the bottom of the catalog cards (yes, actual paper cards) indicating which branches owned an item...we started at the top, calling them all, until we found the book on the shelf somewhere. No way to tell in advance who had it in and who didn't ..... my co worker couldn't believe it.

No comments: